Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Darren Scott

Darren Scott's racial outburst at a colleague means rugby fans will no longer see his face on Supersport. The sports channel announced yesterday that it had decided to "part ways" with Scott following the public outcry at his calling a colleague a "k****r".

Supersport spokesman Clinton van der Berg said that "given the nature of the outburst, it was untenable to keep using Darren". Scott resigned from radio station Jacaranda last week because of the incident, which took place at a bar after the station's team-building event earlier this month.

Supersport said representatives of its management had had a meeting with Scott on Tuesday at which the parties had agreed to part ways. "The meeting was amicable, with Scott expressing remorse and apologising for his recent conduct." Van der Berg said Scott was a freelancer.

"We're opting not to use him any more and he's agreed to that." He said it was "too early to say" who would replace him. Presenters Peter Davies and Neil Andrews have filled in for Scott as anchor for the channel's coverage of the rugby World Cup.

Scott said last week that he felt "really gutted" about the incident and didn't want to be a "poster boy'' for racism. He said his colleague had accepted his apology, but he would like to further apologise to everyone else he had offended. "The fact that I have said what I said means I need to think clearly about my attitude and what's happened. I have got to sort myself out." Scott commented yesterday: "I have said everything I have to say."

No comments: